1) “As long as there is a lost person out there, we are not big enough.” –Steve Murrell
This is a good measuring stick for us to use as far as church growth is concerned. There is no room for us to be big-headed, but instead we need to be concerned about the lost world out there.
2) “Find out what God is doing in your generation, then fling your life into it.” –Larry Tomzsack
While Steve was listening to Larry’s sermon when he was a young Christian, he was so surprised by that statement that it solidified his resolve to being in ministry and to reaching the youth.
3) “When in doubt, TITHE!” –Steve Murrell
A businessman handed me ten thousand pesos in cash for my first ever missions trip to Indonesia way back in the 80’s. I was so thankful to God and so I asked Pastor Steve if I should tithe it. Well, you know by now what he told me.
4) “You’ll never be mistaken in giving.” –Juray Mora
I can’t think of any other most generous person in the Ministry, but Juray. He lives, breaths, preaches, and demonstrates generosity to the full. It behooves us to follow his example.
5) “Don’t make decisions based on money.” –Steve Murrell
We were trained early on to move in faith not by sight. Every time we do conferences and missions trips, we were challenged with this punch line. I guess this can also by applied when getting married! (Warning: This only applies to single people 40 years old and above.)
6) “How are you going to face your problem, if your problem is your face?” – Luther Mancao
Well, I don’t really know how to categorize this statement. Pastor Luther’s sayings are beyond explanation most of the time. You just have to hear and meditate on it for a week!
7) “All roads lead to discipleship.” –Ferdie Cabiling
Rome has been that important of a city that they made all roads, during those ancient days, leading to the center. Well, there is something significant about the term; it was the concept Jesus emphasized before He left: discipleship.
We decided to live with this aphorism as our guide in ministry every time we do an activity in Victory Ortigas.
8.)“If you have to brag much about your accomplishments, then it must have not been big enough.” Mr. Broocks (Rice’s Dad)
I heard this several times from Pastor Rice’s sermons on leadership, discipleship, and ministry. This really helped him to be on the side of humility every time he is tempted to brag on his achievements. He heard this said from his Dad when he went home one day.
I’d been on the opposite side of humility so many times. I’m just wondering how much more if I had never heard this early on from Rice. Oh God…more grace.
9) “The greatest legacy you can leave behind in this life is the lives you’ve touched for God.” –Dr. Jun Escosar
Way back when I was a student, I would always think, ‘I want to be like Jun E when I grow up‘. He was the first guy who became our full time minister in church. One of the other reasons why serving God was exciting is because we see him exemplify that.
10) “Saan tayo kakain?” (“Where are we going to EAT?”) –Manny Carlos
Acts 2.46b “They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts…”
There’s nothing more biblical than finding out where to eat! Thanks Manny for inspiring all of us.